Peggy had the opportunity to participate in a laughter yoga club in Mumbai during her 2012 visit to India. Since returning from India, she has trained with Dr. Kataria and is a certified Laughter Yoga Leader.
Five Points About Laughter Yoga
Laughter Yoga is a unique exercise routine, which combines unconditional laughter with yogic breathing.
- Laughter Yoga is a unique concept where anyone can laugh for no reason, without relying on humor, jokes or comedy.
- We initiate laughter as an exercise in a group, but with eye contact and childlike playfulness, it soon turns into real and contagious laughter.
- The reason we call it Laughter Yoga is because it combines laughter exercises with yoga breathing. This brings more oxygen to the body and the brain which makes one feel more energetic and healthy.
- The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter if done with willingness. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits.
- It was started by a medical doctor, Dr. Madan Kataria from India with just five people from Mumbai Park in 1995. It is fast sweeping the world and today there are thousands of laughter clubs in more than 65 countries.